Kansas State

1982-85 Wildcats
(Authentic Reproduction)




Dickey tweaked the helmet design, maintaining the light gray with purple tint shell that had a one-inch white center stripe, a .375-inch gap that showed that unique gray color, and three-quarter-inch purple flanking stripes. The purple with white trimmed "KSU" logo from the previous seasons, an interlocking diagonally oriented design now closely associated with K-State, adorned both sides of the helmet. Dickey's grand experiment of redshirting his entire class of returning senior players for the '81 season did not help much in 1981. The undermanned squad managed a 2-9 mark but the underclassmen received plenty of experience. When '82 began and as it progressed, it resulted in KSU's best season since 1954, a 6-4-1 finish and a bid to the Independence Bowl where they lost to Wisconsin 14-3 in their first bowl berth in eighty-seven years! The overall finish at 6-5-1 was highlighted by garnering the newly instituted Wheat Trophy as KSU defeated Wichita State and, while wearing special gray uniforms, Kansas, the latter in a nationally televised game. The "Samoan" running game of backs Iosefatu Faraimo and Masi Toluao behind the blocking of FB Mike Pierson proved effective when combined with QB Dickey's passing. The 3-8 skid in '83 was not part of the plan but losing the opener to weak-sister Long Beach State should have been a clue for what was to follow. If you're eighth in scoring and seventh in scoring defense in an eight team conference, there are problems. QB Stan Weber sat out a good portion of the season with a knee injury but returned to push the Wildcats to their only conference victory over Oklahoma State and a twenty-seven point per game average in the last four outings. Huge 6'7" DT Les Miller transferred from Fort Hays State and was Big 8 Newcomer Of The Year. The highlights of the 1984 season were a mid-season win against Kansas and the finale's upset 38-6 rout of Colorado. The remainder of the season was another hum-drum affair, 3-7-1 overall with QB Stan Weber at the controls. Weber ran and passed well but offensive inconsistency had soph Randy Williams getting a few starts. Entering 1985 under enormous pressure to succeed, Dickey held on until the conclusion of the second game of the season. Opening with losses to Wichita State and Northern Iowa were too much and he resigned with assistant coach Lee Moon taking over for the remainder of the season. It was another K-State disaster with an upset against Missouri the only bright spot in a 1-10 record. DE Kevin Humphrey won another Big 8 Newcomer Of The Year Award for the Wildcats but the porous defense lacked talent. Offensively, trying to emphasize the passing game resulted in the team being ranked last in Big 8 scoring and rushing and they had the highest interception ratio. Moon was replaced by Stan Parrish at the end of the season but his three-year reign  brought a miserable 2-30-1 slate which in the long run of K-State football, was a blessing. In 1989, the 1-10 record of Bill Snyder was but a prelude of a seventeen year KSU career that made them a consistent top fifteen team, Big 8 contender, and bowl participant.  

If interested in any of these KSU helmets please click on the photos below.